#BeTrueToYou 157-day no makeup challenge #Day67
A friend asked me the other day what are some way to reduce dark circles. For those of us suffering from this problem and who do not want to use bronzer or makeup to cover it up, there are lots of different natural remedies you can try with simple household items that most of us keep in stock.
There are many simple ways you can help reduce the visibility of dark circles. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Cold Water or Cold Milk
Take a washcloth soaked in cold water or cold milk and put it directly over your closed eye lids for a few minutes. Cold water can constrict the blood vessels under the eyes and help a lot to reduce eye puffiness and dark circles.
Ice cubes can work the same way. Simply place a few cubes in a soft napkin and place it under your eyes. Instead of an ice pack, you can also use a bag of frozen peas, a chilled teabag and a cold spoon. Repeat the process three to four times daily for a few weeks.
There are two different ways to use cucumber for this type of treatment:
1. Cucumber is a natural astringent that has great properties that replenish the skin. You can do this every time you apply your avocado mask. Get a fresh cucumber and cut it into thick slices and keep them in the refrigerator for half an hour. Put the cucumber slices onto the affected skin area for about ten minutes. Rinse with water and watch the dark circles fade away.
2. Another way to treat dark circles is to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice 50/50. Apply it with the help of a cotton ball over the affected skin. Leave for fifteen minutes and then wash it off with water. Follow this remedy for a week and dark circles will vanish.
Take a teaspoon of tomato juice and mix it with one teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the dark circles in a very gentle manner and allow it to sit for ten minutes. Finally rinse it off gently with clean water.
Follow this remedy twice a day to reduce the dark circles.
Drinking tomato juice with mint leaves can also provide this same treatment.
4. Lemon Juice
The bleaching properties of vitamin C present in lemon juice can also help to remove dark circles under the eyes. You can apply fresh lemon juice with the help of cotton ball around your eyes and rinse it off after ten minutes.
Another option is to make a thick paste by adding one tablespoon of lemon juice to two tablespoon of tomato puree, a pinch of gram flour and turmeric powder. Apply this thick paste gently around your eyes. Rinse it off with clean water after ten to fifteen minutes.
Repeat this process twice or thrice every week and soon the skin tone around your eyes will become lighter and eventually the dark circles will go away.
Apple can also be used to remove dark circles in a natural way. The tannic acid present in apple can lighten the skin tone. At the same time water soluble vitamins B and C, as well as potassium present in apple give the much needed nourishment to the delicate skin around the eyes.
Take one ripe apple and cut it into thick pieces. Put the apple slices under your eyes and leave it for about half an hour. Finally you can wash the skin area with cold water and apply some cream.
Another option is to make a paste of boiled green apple and then apply it under your eyes and after half an hour rinse with lukewarm water.
6. Mint Leaves
Mint leaves can give cooling effect and remove dark circles in a very natural manner.
Take few fresh mint leaves and crush them gently. Now apply the crushed mint leaves around your eyes and leave it for five to ten minutes. Then gently wipe it off with a clean and cold cloth. It is one of the effective home remedies for under eye dark circles.
Another option is to add mint leaves paste to tomato juice and then apply this paste on the dark circles.
Allow it to sit for a few minutes and then rinse the area properly with cold water.
Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and hence it can be used to remove dark circles.
Take turmeric powder and mix it with pineapple juice to make a thick paste. Apply this paste to the affected area and allow it to stay for about ten minutes before wiping it away with a soft damp cloth. Besides removing the dark circles it will also make the skin around your eyes smoother and softer than before. This remedy should be followed daily until you get positive results.
To conclude, the above mentioned remedies are highly effective in getting rid of awful marks around your eyes and will also prevent its occurrence in the future. However if you do not get positive results within a week or two, it is advisable to consult your doctor.
8. Get More Sleep! (I added this one…)
My all-time favorite suggestion. Ensuring that you get plenty of rest is the best way to prevent dark circles. Drinking lots of water and removing the stress from your life are also key.
Read more ways at: Top10homeremedies.com
We hear people talking about Alkaline Water. But what does it really do for us? And what are the benefits, if any, to our bodies and skin?
- Builds a Cancer Wall: Alkaline water has antioxidant properties that help counteract free radicals. Free radicals can lead to aging and other various conditions. The antioxidants in liquid form allow for a faster absorption into the system. It is believed that some elements in alkaline water can help develop cancer resistance.
- Helps the Body Fight Viruses: It helps to cleanse the organs and is particularly effective in cleansing the colon. It can remove build up that is weeks or even years old leading to a more effective and thorough elimination process. This can help decrease the recurrence of unhealthy constipation issues. As you take it regularly, preferably daily, and keep your system cleansed and in well working order you may notice that you become less susceptible to flu’s, colds, stomach viruses, and other common illnesses.
- Rejuvenates the Skin: This is always a biggie for me! Along with cleansing the body’s inner systems alkaline water also rejuvenates the skin and keeps it hydrated. It helps the skin replace tissues and contributes its elasticity and overall health. It can also help detoxify the skin causing it to appear smoother and leading to fewer breakouts. This helps contribute to a younger more youthful glow. Alkaline water can also aid in your weight loss goals. It aids in the breakdown of fatty elements in food. All of these physical improvements can make you feel younger and revitalized.
- Strengthens Joints: No osteoporosis for Alkaline bodies! A few other features of water are that it lubricates joints and muscles to help prevent injuries. This can benefit those who are susceptible to sprains or may suffer from arthritis. Also dehydration can cause organs such as the heart to work even harder and leave you feeling exhausted. As it releases harmful substances it can help you feel more energetic. This can be due to the fact that clean organs don’t have to work as hard and expend as much energy to carry out their functions.
And…You can make your own Alkaline Water!
Here are a few easy ways to get the natural benefits of an alkaline body:
1. Lemon or Lime Juice: Add several drops of lemon or lime juice to your glass of water. I add 1/4 of lemon or lime juice to two 16oz. Gasses of water I drink every morning as I wake up.
2. Baking Soda: Add a teaspoon of baking soda to a gallon of water. Google this simple and inexpensive recipe for the exact amount of baking soda.
3. Alkaline Water Machine (i.e. Kangen Water machine): Use an alkaline water machine to produce drinking alkaline water and water to use for cocking, preparing smoothies, teas, and any other food related water need.